California Southern Baptists have a rich history and heritage beginning in the 1940s when 13 churches united for evangelism, ministry and missions to reach the culture of their time. Today, almost 2,100 churches and missions continue its ministry of “Reaching the World in California.”
Each year about 100 new congregations are started among the diverse population to help reach men, women, boys and girls for Christ.
The purpose of CSBC is to “serve our culturally diverse congregations as we fulfill the The Great Commandment (Mark 12:28-31) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20).”
The strategies adopted by the Convention to help CSBC reach California are:
- Leadership Development – Provide training and support for pastors, staff and lay-leaders.
- New Churches – Coordinate denominational resources and cooperative effort of churches and associations to start new churches.
- Mission Support – Develop a world-view which will provide support for local, state, North American and international missions.
- Healthy Churches – Provide consultation, vision and networking to facilitate church growth.
- Communication – Provide research and channels of information to keep our diverse constituency involved and the general public informed about Baptist work.
Values adopted by the Convention to serve as a guide include:
1. Authority of the Scripture: II Timothy 3:16-17
2. World Evangelism: Matthew 28:18-20
3. Practical Love: Matthew 22:37-40
4. Fruitfulness (for the Glory of God): John 15:16
5. Cooperation that Affirms Diversity: I Corinthians 12:13
6. Integrity in Relationships: Psalm 1
7. Urgency in Light of the Imminent Return of Christ: Revelation 22:12
8. Autonomy of the Local Church: Matthew 16:18-19 & Colossians 1:18